May 15, 2011

Works in Progress - afghans

In an effort to force myself to finish some of the projects that I've been working on for some time, I'm going to start posting a few of them on here at a time.  I figure if I post that there's something in progress, it will give me a little motivation push that I need to finish it.  Hopefully.  (key word, right?)

AND... with no further adieu...

I mentioned I was on an afghan binge.  These are the rest of the afghans I'm working on...

Zigzag blanket
This is actually a baby blanket pattern.  I liked it so much I decided to make a "full-sized" blanket.  Sadly, this was pretty much when I first started knitting... and like so many other projects that came afterwards, I had lofty intentions and no idea how to make them reality (ie. I doubled the size of the blanket... woops).  This blanket is likely going to end up large enough to cover a queen sized bed.  This is why it's taking me so very long to finish... and, well, the pattern is rather repetitive and somewhat boring... the thing is huge already, but I still have a full ball of yarn let to use up.  BUT... I love it... the pattern is easy-ish, but still pretty... I'm just stalled.

The entirety of the blanket.  That ball of yarn is about as big as a grapefruit.

ZigZag Detail
Johnny's Camo "Granny's Attic" afghan
So, this pattern didn't end up making a big enough blanket.  I posted that I was nearing completion on this monstrosity some time ago.  Sadly, when I laid all the squares out to sew it all together, I found that I was lacking, probably half a blanket.  This one isn't going to fit a bed, but it needs to be large enough to swaddle a full-grown person - comfort is key, right?  So, back to the proverbial drawing board... and I started making more squares... and now I just need to tuck in ends (which I SERIOUSLY hate doing.  There are so many ends in this pattern!) and finish sewing it up.  This blanket is probably the nearest to completion of all the WIPs that I have - and yet, I still can't drum up the motivation to finish it.  I'm slowly plugging away at tucking in ends... I get a few squares done a week... or, rather, I WAS getting a few squares done a week.
I must admit, I am rather pleased with how this blanket is turning out.  It's beautiful, but with all the end-tucking and huge number of squares required (the pattern calls for 48, and I ended up making 99), I think I would have to admit to a loss of sanity prior to starting another one of these.

Current status.  The neat pile has the ends tucked already.  *sigh*
The glorious detail.  Love the way it looks.
Rainbow baby blanket
This is one of those "new fun" patterns that caught my eye while I was working on afghans.  Verdict?  This one is going to get shelved for a while.  I can't figure out how to put all the lovely weave sections together.  I WILL figure it out though, but don't look for completion of this one anytime soon.

Quite the non-traditional baby blanket colours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just started the Granny's Attic afghan and found your site when searching for other people's colour choices. I love your colour choice, very masculine :)

I have a love hate relationship with this afghan! I love how it looks, but I really hate the ends. There really are SO Many and no easy way to get away from them.

A lady asked me to make this for her and I was like 'piece of cake' how hard can a half solid/half granny be. It's not hard at all...but I hate hate hate ends!