May 20, 2011

More works in progress... with a different needle variety

I am still working on cross-stitch and needlepoint stuff... in the background of this incredibly fun and speedy thing called knitting.  But, I'm not getting very far.  In fact, I thought I was further on the tea-cup one.  *sigh*

Anyhow, this is what I'm up to.

Cute Zen Butterfly:
Ya know, I had a plan for this at one point.  I was going to have an incredibly Japanese-ly decorated kitchen.  I no longer have this plan.  Now what on earth am I going to do with this when I finish?  No idea.  So it's being worked on S.l.o.w.l.y.  Very very slowly.  This is my progress... not even finished the butterfly, let alone the background.  Ya know, I like cross-stitch, maybe I should dedicate some time to it in the near future.

Trio of Teacups:
Yeah, so I've FINISHED one teacup, but haven't started the other two.  Oh ballz.  That sucks.  I thought I was further than that... I thought I was about halfway done the second teacup!  That makes me super grumpy.
Anyhow, progress to date is such.
Swinging Christmas Snowman:
I got this pattern from Mary Maxim.  It is super super cute and was a lot of fun.  It was my first attempt at needlepoint (I think that's what it's called) and I learned a couple of interesting things 1.  Cut the pieces out of the plastic canvas immediately before you start sewing them so that you don't work on the wrong side of the piece only to find out later that you've done such, and have to take everything out because the canvas is NOT SYMMETRICAL!  2. Make sure all of your stitches go the same way.  It looks stupid otherwise.  Cross-stitch is VERY forgiving this way.  and 3. Figure out which colours are which BEFORE you start stitching.  Now, this is very obvious.  This is something I should know and something I always do.  However, this time, I was tricked by the colours on the package.  Looks like someone else decided that the colouring should be done differently and here I am trying to match colours up and thinking "that's not dark enough to be the dark blue colour, it must be this..."  which was NOT true.  I ended up having to go out and buy another ball of yarn to finish this thing.  Sadly, now that I'm done the stitching work, I have not put the darn thing together.  It was like I went "YAY!  I'm done" and put the whole thing on the shelf.  I know there's no rush to finish it up as it's nowhere near Christmas yet, but still.  The snow JUST went away here and I'm not feeling overly fond of anything related to snow at the moment, so this will probably stay shelved until I get my Christmas decorations out - or until I decide it's taking up too much space in my craft room.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I love how the snowman turned out! We should have a cross stitch day, along with all the other "days" we want to have.